This Fourth of July amp up your backyard barbecue with bold new takes on Independence Day mainstays from McCormick. Chicken goes from basic to bold with spicy breadings and sauces, island-flavored marinades and Louisiana-inspired condiments. Top it off with sides featuring in-season ingredients, like a grilled spin on a fresh tomato caprese, and end with decadent all-American no-bake pies.
“The Fourth is the biggest grilling day of the year, and people want to relax outside with good food, family and friends,” said McCormick Executive Chef Kevan Vetter. “Turn classic summer fruits and veggies into simple grilled side dishes. Soak thick-cut watermelon wedges in a tangy marinade and grill. Or melt fresh mozzarella atop juicy, grilled tomato slices for a crowd-pleasing salad.”
Chicken Three Ways:
* Nashville-Style Hot Chicken: Set your taste buds ablaze with this fiery chicken, sizzling with hot cayenne pepper in the breading and the tangy sauce. Serve with pickle chips and white bread. ?Make-ahead Tip: Cook chicken in advance and reheat in the oven. Brush on sauce just before serving.
* Island Rum Lime Chicken: Bring sweet island soul to the grates with this tropical grilled chicken breast, marinated in a tangy mix of lime juice, rum, brown sugar, allspice, ginger and chili pepper.
* Grilled Chicken Po Boy Sandwich with Spicy Creole Mustard Sauce: Upgrade your grilled chicken sandwich with the bold taste of Louisiana. Creole mustard, charred orange vinegar and Hot Pepper Blackened Seasoning make this one crave-worthy sandwich, chock-full of heat and tang.
Grilled Summer Sides:
* Grilled Watermelon Steaks with Walnut Gremolata: Watermelon? Good. Grilled watermelon? Even better. Marinate it in balsamic, lemon juice and rosemary, throw it on the grill then top it with a crunchy mixture of walnuts, lemon zest and fresh parsley.
* Grilled Tomato Caprese Salad: Shake some Smoky Montreal Steak Seasoning onto grilled tomato slices and stack ’em with fresh mozzarella and a generous drizzle of spiced balsamic.
* Grilled Cabbage Steaks with Bacon & Blue Cheese: Say goodbye to your wimpy wedge salad and feast your eyes (and taste buds) on this bold side. Soak cabbage slices in a tangy marinade, grill then top with crispy crumbled bacon and blue cheese.
All-American No-Bake Desserts:
* Summer Pies: Keep your kitchen cool and your Independence Day dessert table irresistible with delicious pies – no baking required!
– Blackberry Pie: The tangy, tart flavors of blackberries and lemon are perfectly showcased in this cool ‘n creamy, easy-to-make dessert.
– Mint Chocolate Chip Pie: Bring an ice cream parlor favorite to your Fourth of July spread, no freezer required!
– Salted Caramel Pie: Caramel + pretzels + sea salt = the makings of a dream summer dessert.
* Red, White and Blue Mousse Parfaits: Layer stripes of red, white and blue tinted mousse, then top with white chocolate chips for a star-spangled treat!